Activated charcoal skin care benefits: truth or myth?
You’ve probably heard the news already about activated charcoal and its incredible skin care benefits. It looks like it’s the absolute must have for beauty brands who aim at treating oily skin types that are prone to acne. But is it actually effective? Let’s find out.
I know we’ve been invaded with somewhat scary videos of people peeling off charcoal masks, with horrifying results. However, there’s no denying the information we’ve collected over years of experimentation and cosmetic third party manufacturing of skin care products.
Long story short: YES, activated charcoal does in fact show many skin care benefits. Its detoxifying, antibacterial properties are able to:
- Absorb excessive oil and improve acne: aaah acne, the lovely result of bacteria and dead skin cells building up in our pores, which can lead to painful redness, irritation, and scarring. Good news is activated charcoal can help with that.
- Remove toxins: it acts like a magnet, absorbing bacteria and toxins, giving the skin an overall clearer complexion.
- Provide gentle exfoliation: its slightly gritty yet soft texture gives the skin a natural, gentle exfoliation that helps remove dead skin cells.
- Minimize pores by unclogging them from impurities: its absorbing superpowers help keep pores clean and free of those nasty impurities that lead to whiteheads and blackheads.
- Treat skin conditions, like eczema and psoriasis: its antibacterial and antifungal properties can help heal irritated skin and soothe symptoms of skin conditions.
And although there is still little scientific knowledge about the inner workings of activated charcoal and the skin care benefits associated with it, there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence supporting its effectiveness.
What is activated charcoal and what are its skin care benefits?
You might hear the words “charcoal” and “activated charcoal” used interchangeably but don’t worry: activated charcoal it’s not the same you would normally grill with.
Activated charcoal is the result of regular charcoal being exposed to high heat, gases or inorganic chemicals: the fine dust resulting from this operation is extremely porous, which is what makes activated charcoal highly absorbent and such a good detoxifier.
The "stickiness" of activated charcoal powder is what works wonders as far as skin care benefits are concerned. Activated charcoal can be used to treat acne and detoxify the skin by absorbing and removing dirt, bacteria, and oil. And for this reason, although activated charcoal is good for most skin types, it might be especially beneficial for people with oily skin.
The coolest thing about activated charcoal skin care benefits
Although we might still not have enough hard scientific evidence to prove that activated charcoal is actually legit in treating acne and regulating sebum, there’s one thing we do know for sure: activated charcoal is inert. Which means that it does not cause allergic or irritating reactions and will most likely do no harm.
It’s true then: skincare products with activated charcoal really are the bomb!
However, the fact that it’s cheap, easy to use, and harmless doesn’t mean that it can be treated lightly. You still need to pair it with other ingredients in order to make effective formulations and there’s only one person who can help your brand with that: a private label partner, such as ourselves.
You want your brand to explore activated charcoal and its skin care benefits and are looking for a partner to guide you through the process?